Monday, January 05, 2009

911 !

Searcher called me at work today, twice in a row. Usually when I'm with pts, I ignore calls, but after the second call, I excused myself to see what was wrong. She'd been calling Hubby and me. Transformer "in back of the house" blew and caused a small fire in a tree. She said there were no more flames, but the leaves were still glowing and the transformer was still arcing and sparking. I hung up, dialed 911 and explained this to the fire dept. They praised me for calling as all is dry again, and it wouldn't take much to have the entire line of trees,lawns, and perhaps houses go up in smoke. They sent a truck out immediately and left me to call FPL. They have a miserable automated voice system that leaves no room for "press __ for emergencies," so I suggested this to the live person I finally had answer the call. She seemed disinterested, so now I'll email corporate and the PSC. I truly abhor lousy service, especially where it counts.

I then tried Hubby's cell twice: no answer. So I called the office and asked receptionist if he was out. No, she connected me to his desk, and sweetly as you please, I heard, "Hubby, May I help you?" I told him of our efforts to reach him by cell, so while we chatted he checked his phone. "Six missed calls??!!" I told him not to worry, I'd already called 911 and the FD was on the way to the house. "WHAT??!!" I quickly relieved his fears, but suggested he might want to go home and move the boat. It's not much, but it still runs! Later, I called him for an update. Searcher was a bit incorrect in saying where the transformer was; it was actually next door, but still cause for concern. A power line melted and went down as well. Bottom line, nobody's house went up in flames, and while the power was out for 4 hours (obviously, FPL did not find this an emergency), Searcher was sleeping and we were at work, so it didn't inconvenience anyone.

And that's all there is to report on this end!

2 Comments:

At 6:33 PM , Blogger MrsDoF said...

Dang -- That was a close call!
Better Safe than Sorry....

MrsDoF

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger shimfee said...

Yes, I was happy that the fire dept. praised me. She seemed to want to get through to me that I hadn't called for nothing.

We have wilfire problems down here after the rainy season. We're supposed to get a "cold front" Wednesday, and they sometimes come with rain. We can hope!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home