Friday, March 24, 2006

Hurry Up and Wait!

I work in a tax-supported clinic providing Women's Health Care and STD exams and treatments (Yes!! I do exams on males, too and see many penises in a month! (but not on the same patient) Big whoop!). We charge our patients according to their income. Many fall into a "no pay" category. But at the highest charge, you can't beat our prices in comparison to private care, and NP's generally spend more time with patients per visit. Plus, if you're on birth control pills, you leave with a year's supply in your hands, provided you're not having any problems. Can't beat the deal. Sometimes, I get overbooked or add in patients with emergent (for us) problems, and I can run behind with the schedule. Overall, my patients don't seem to mind too much since they know me, and that they'll receive excellent care. There is an occasional patient who has their panties in a wad (not my fault!) and gripes and complains vociferously about the wait. There's a part of me that thinks, Hey! You're getting all of this for free!!! Shush! But I usually just empathize and apologize for running behind. (A good part of waiting has to do with the gov't.-reuqired paperwork - ugh!!!)

Today, I had an appt. with my internist. Just the annual requisite visit to get my meds ordered for the year. Except for the CIDP and well-controlled asthma (at the moment), I am well. My appt. was at 3:15. I was seen by the doc at 5:10. Granted, I have excellent health insurance, though there is a co-pay and I will pay the remainder that insurance doesn't. But I didn't groan and whine about waiting. I could tell Dr. Mac was having a busy day. Do ya think HE wanted to be out late on a Friday??? Doubt it.

So, if you are cared for by public servants who are less-than-punctual, be kind. We need it.

Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home