Monday, June 05, 2006

Life Goes On.......

My Aunt Cathy died Saturday morning at 2:45. I hadn't planned on flying back to MD for the memorial service, but her long-time partner called me twice with the arrangements. I decided to fly up (Searcher will come, too, paying most of her own ticket). I think he needs some support. Plus, we "Florida Family," as my Aunt called us, are sensible and not alcoholics. A plus for my Mom's side of the family. A MSW student could have a lot of fun with interviews of this group! Sum it up as "People Need the Lord."

So, life goes on.

We have a rule here that the puppies are not allowed to annoy us while we're eating. They do pretty well, especially when we're at the table, but we often eat watching t.v. The MSW student would scold!! Tonight, I had my bowl of yummies and made The Girls get down. I pushed the couch cushions to the middle and opposite end, to be out of my way. After a few minutes, without me noticing, Molly jumped up on the opposite end of the couch, burying herself under the pillows. I figured this out as she crawled under the pillows on her belly, like a reptile, and poked her head out on my end as if to say, "Whatcha eatin'?" I laughed, but did make her get down.

I fired someone Friday. Not the first time; I had fired someone in my first incarnation as a supervisor back in the early 90's. That was more cut-and-dried. This case was difficult. The person was almost at the end of their probationary period, and looking back, I didn't see improvement in several areas. Patients could be in danger, possibly. I did what I had to do, but it was difficult. The nsg. director was with me, did most of the talking, actually. We kept things broad and didn't formally document anything on her record, which will enhance her chances of getting employment in the future. We just weren't a good fit. It was a difficult decision, not made alone, not made lightly, and with full support of all upper management. But it still sucks.

My Dad continues to fail. He feels pretty bad now. One positive thing is Hospice providing him with Lidocaine patches. He applies these to his back and knees. If he were healthy, he would have had hip and knee replacements by now, but all docs figure he'd die on the table. These patches are really helping him, though. We thank God for small blessings. Dad would ask that you pray for him to go quickly. He's SO ready. Beam him up, Jesus! I'll cry like a baby, but not for his sake. It'll be pure selfishness. If everybody had a Dad like mine, the world would be nearly perfect.

Enough ruminating. Y'all have a good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home